Catching Up is Hard To Do (Part II): Singer, Producer, Engineer...Night Owl

Thursday, February 13, 2014

I've had the desire to start a blog for some time now, but finally I feel like I will be able to share my experiences and life in a way that will show meaning to my goal. Everything I've been through has shaped the person I am today and the reason I do what I do. My only hope is that you fall in love with the story of my life(though there is still so much to it left) and the soundtrack that's being built for it. This post is actually coming at a good time because in these last two weeks I have regained my abilities to be a Night Owl. Apologies for waiting so long in between posts, but I've had little time to update on my whereabouts because I'm creating these whereabout experiences. I figure what would be a better way to catch up with the passed 3 years and the passed 2 weeks but to incorporate the two.

Let's pick up where we left off in my last post, Junior Year at Carnegie Mellon University and I am in my first recording class. It came so naturally to me, not just telling people what to do when they were in the booth (Brandon says I can be bossy sometimes, I think I'm just a natural leader) but also having the ear to pinpoint good takes vs bad ones and edit the right musical information to tracks. That may seem like a bit too honest to admit that I enjoyed having the power to tell others what to do, but it's true. It's an art really, to get it down to a T. There are people who are "bossy" and there then are people who are "leaders". My professor noticed my ease with leadership immediately. I never told anyone what to do, I made they feel comfortable enough with themselves so that they did what I wanted them to without them realizing that I had been gearing them in that direction from the beginning. And despite what anyone may think, that is art. I had people requesting to work with me as an engineer because of all the fun and laughs that I brought to a studio session while still getting work done efficiently. To be completely honest, I think that the reason that most engineers are successful is when the engineers themselves are artists because they understand what it feels like to be exposed and have everyone around you listening to your art while you're trying to record something creatively. In this case especially, because most artists would come and use the studio for free since they knew that their session would be educational to a class of 30 people. Now, on top of having your own criticism (which is the harshest) and that of the engineer/producer (second harshest) you also had a group of 30 college students watching your every move and hearing your every mistake. It may seem easy enough, but it's nerve-racking to say the least.

One of the artists that came in frequently was a local Pittsburgh Rapper, named "Freestyle" at the time. He currently goes by "Frzy" (@Frzy) and has a wide following, having worked with a number of famous national and international artists now. Good friends now, he always likes to pretend that he had his eye on me before I even tried to become his engineer of two years, but who knows the truth. The facts are that after one session with him I came out of my shy shell (tongue twister? "shy shell") and sang for him in the hopes of working with him as not only an engineer but as a guest artist on one of his tracks. Of course, my engineer professor was taken aback because he had no idea that I was a singer, as well. He only really trusted me for the engineering skills. Slowly, I proved myself though. I should mention that during this time the Teacher's Assistant of the class was Andrew Goldberg, a graduate student at Carnegie Mellon receiving his certificate in Music Engineering and Production was the one who gave me the most mentor like abilities to learn everything faster. He noticed my ease with the soundboard immediately and had already become very good friends with Frzy, so needless to say the three of us became a dynamic trio in the studio, where I spent most of my nights for the first half of my Junior Year in college.

3am Studio Session Nov. 2010

Andrew took this picture I'm pretty sure, either him or Free. Just this picture alone pretty much sums up Junior Year of CMU, as well as, the last two weeks. Since I last wrote I got a second job, applied for another more permanent job and continued working at my current job, all while writing, recording, singing, practicing and attempting to squeeze time in with my friends and boyfriend. For those who don't know my job that I already had is in retail. I'd be more explicit about which company I work for, but since I can feel myself having the urge to write more about it in the future I don't want to put myself in a compromising position. My new job is going really well, but I tend to want to keep things private until I know they're really going to work out. Maybe I should stop that and get more music out, too (something I promise to have done by the next post because I've been on it for the last two weeks like a mad woman)! And finally, there is the new job that I am interviewing for that I am definitely not going to make public so as to not jinx it, but I'd really appreciate the good vibes for the final interview, which is early next week! I've just been the busy bee trying to fit it all in and truthfully, I love this much more than feeling as if there is nothing to do, even if it causes a little Stress here and there.

Following my sleepless nights at CMU I was faced with a big decision for the second half of my junior year. Since before I started college, I had decided that I was going to study abroad in Paris, France. I had already been accepted into a Parisian Abroad Program for Economics/Business and awarded a small but worthwhile abroad scholarship from CMU. But now I had a family in the studio and I really didn't want to leave it, I wasn't sure if it would be the same when I returned.
I'll have to elaborate on my amazing experience in France one of these days so I'm sure you've figured out what decision I made and I can say with confidence that I have no regrets. When I returned Senior Year to CMU I earned a spot taking Andrew's position as TA of the Engineering class and even got a job as an engineer for the CMU School of Music doing live productions, as well as studio productions. With this kind of access to the studio you can bet that I had a lot of time to record my own things here and there.

I soon graduated to become what most college graduates are these days… unemployed. Haha, I seriously just chuckled to myself as I was writing this. I should save my post College drama for another post, but needless to say, it took a bit of time before I really was able to hone in on what I wanted, where I wanted and decide HOW I was going to get it.


My good friend, who helped me set up this blog is going to help me figure out how to add MP3's to it, so if the next post doesn't have a tune up for you to listen to, I'll be pretty upset with myself because there are no excuses at this point, especially with how hard I've been working to get some stuff recorded. The only real set back is me! Yesterday my engineer/co-producer, who will be introduced later, sent me some of the demos that we had worked on and I liked what I heard, but when I listen to myself I don't listen to it subjectively. You'd think "Yeah, right… you LOVE how you sound!" or "Yeah, right… you're too critical on yourself". But it's actually not true. I can compliment myself just as well as I can criticize myself, but the real issue is that I've worked with different record labels and so many music companies in the passed that I know what they're looking for. As I continue the story of my journey, I'll elaborate on how one of my specific jobs once upon a time was to just listen to demos and accept or reject them before they went up to a higher management to accept or reject. I know what music moguls will give the time of day to and I know what they won't. For that reason, I hear something of mine and I immediately think 'how long would I listen to this for until I turned it off?' If it's less than 30 seconds, then it's no good and I have to keep working at it. I did an a cappella version of the song "Explosions" by Ellie Goulding just as a sound test for adjusting levels and surprisingly I think I like it better than some of the other stuff I had considered doing, so I'll upload that on next post while I continue working on my original Minted Tunes for you.

Have a great Thursday, and I hope to have made this week's snow day pass by just a little smoother for those of you out there in the Northeast!

0 comments:

Post a Comment